So I said, I wanted to talk about a few things over the past month that make OCS stand out. There are certain things I enjoy, things that get very annoying real quick, and others that just plain make one go insane.
The Good
Chow - As candidates, we are hungry nonstop. It seems that as soon as we are done eating, we are hungry again. No joke, but most candidates probably consume around 5-6k calories a day. We burn them off quicker. I love chow. More specific, the peanut butter packets.
Stupid Candidates - Why? Because the words and phrases that come out of instructors mouths are hilarious. Of course, we have to have good bearing, and try our hardest not to crack a smile, but sometimes you can't help it and they know it.
Drill - I actually enjoy doing drill with our weapons, although it makes me mad when some people can't get the hang of certain movements. As a platoon, we are starting to get more crisp as a unit, which sounds much better during movements. I am definitely looking forward to the drill competition.
Cami Paint - Yeah, I look like a badass with it, not going to lie. Field exercises are fun, and you start to look like the real deal. The only problem with the paint is that its not fun to get off.
Mail Call - Hearing your name called during mail is the best. I don't get much mail, and for some reason haven't got mail that I know was sent, but when I hear my name, I run up there fast to see who its from. Its just something that gives you a reality check that there is a world outside of OCS.
Haircuts - One of the few times you get to be away from the instructors, and wow do I enjoy it. Nothing is more relaxing at OCS then getting your weekly haircut. Yeah, it only lasts about 4-5 minutes, but that is just about the best 4-5 minutes of the week outside of libo.
The Bad
"Grab _____ (fill in the blank) and get on line right now!" - Nothing makes me more mad when people aren't sounding off, or when others screw up, other then if it was me I suppose. I do not enjoy holding my rifle straight out in front of me for long periods of time. Even worse, an ILBY pack, which is a giant backpack. Or when you hear the words "two sheets and a blanket". That means we all get to remake our racks.
The Virginia Sun - As much as I do enjoy drill, wow does marching around on that ginormous piece of blacktop get really hot. Not implying I'm being a baby about it, but standing at attention, and feeling sweat just pour out of you isn't the best feeling.
You Can't - Its a phrase I hate hearing, but I know will only make me better. I push myself beyond belief, but sometimes your body is just done and can't go anymore. Its the plain and simple anatomical truth. After running 3 miles under a 7:00 pace up and down hills, with exercise stations scattered throughout, and then trying to do sets of pullups and pushups right after, sometimes you just can't do anymore. So when an instructor is yelling at me telling me I can't do pushups, yeah he may be right at the time, but I would rather not have someone in my ear.
Random Firewatch Shifts - Firewatch isn't that bad and we all have to do it, whether it be at 9pm, midnight, or 4am, and only for an hour. What really ticks me off is when I finally get a night where I am ready to go for the next day, and don't have to spend time out of my night after lights go out to prepare, I get stuck with a firewatch shift at 2am. The night I can finally catch up sleep turns right back in to only getting 5 hours at most.
The Ugly
"Lights, lights, lights" - By far, the worst phrase at OCS. When firewatch does their countdown before lights come on, and then says that, it is a horrible feeling. You are so tired, and have to pop right out of your rack and get online and start yelling when you are still half asleep. By far, I think its the worst part about OCS. Its not that we have to be up at 5am, its what follows right after.
Well thats my list for now. I sure hope you enjoyed my first couple posts. Things are going very well as I mention. I've passed all my academic tests, and tests in the field as well. Everything is very demanding, I am exhausted, but my body is holding up and am pushing through it. I can't believe I'm already a month into this adventure. Send me questions or comments through this forum as I should be able to get on every weekend now. I would love to hear from everyone. Until next weekend, I am going to go enjoy the rest of my liberty.
Sunday, June 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey Mark,
I have had you in my thoughts and prayers, and it was more than good to read your blog and hear about what is going on.
Needless to say, I am proud of you, and yet worried at the same time, it is grueling at best, along with the heat, but I knew you would give it your all.
I am sending mail tomorrow along with a treat if you get liberty this weekend.
Take care, and stay strong.
Love from aunt Nancy and Uncle Steve
Mark,
Sounds like your doing awesome. I'm proud of you cus. What kind of treats do you like to get? My boys want to send you something. Hang tough Devil Dog!!!
Andy
Thanks for the report, Mark. It paints a picture of what your training is like. Better you than me! Sounds really challenging. Hang in there.
Post a Comment