What a tough week! And I am not kidding. We packed up our 80lb packs and hiked out to the field site Monday evening and set up camp. Reveille was at 0230 in the morning and we stepped off shortly after 0300 for a 9-mile hump. We got back and worked on squad offensive exercises in and out of the field for the rest of the day until about 1900. The normal schedule would of had us stay out in the field for the night but I believe someone from higher up made the decision to allow us to go back to the squadbay to get a good nights sleep. At least, that is what we were told. So we did, which I didn't complain about but it kind of took away from the whole combination of the SULE2 experience. So we got up at 0400 Wednesday morning to get ready for SULE2, our final leadership test. We started at 0630 and the day ended for our squad and ended at 2100. Yes, that means we were in the field on our feet, doing patrols and buddy rushes against "enemy" forces through the woods for over 14 hours straight and equivalent to about 9.5 miles. Needless to say, after the 9-mile hump and being in the field the day before, I was completely exhausted and tired. However, the ending to the day was somewhat bittersweet. We were done, and the bus was not at the site to pick us up and we were 3 miles from the squadbay, so we started walking back. Then it started to downpour rain. So I thought to myself, heck I already put in almost 10 miles today, whats another 3 in the rain? And the rain felt pretty good too. But then our bus came and the day was over. According to the evaluator when it was my turn, it sounds like I did pretty good.
We got a day off and then ran the Endurance Course for our real test. I ended up improving to 41:05 which I was pleased with. There are only 2 more graded events and both of them are PT related and that is it for OCS. Monday, we have the PFT, the Combat Readiness Test on Tuesday, Pugal Sticks C Co vs D Co on Tuesday, and then we step off for a 12-mile hump at 0030 Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. A day off, and a 6-mile run on Thursday. So yeah, a somewhat demanding PT week.
Like the title says though, graduation is now becoming very near. Our Platoon Sergeant had a discussion with us today regarding graduation, so we all know it is within our grasp. Week 10 is not too detailed, so this next week pretty much sums up OCS. Wow, it has been one heck of a journey.
Thank you to everyone for your posts, messages, cards you have sent my way. They have been greatly appreciated. Like everyone at OCS, there have been days where you wonder what the heck you got yourself into when your body just wants to quit, and hearing words of encouragement has been great.
Thats it for now. I'm currently at a hotel with my rackmate and we're going to the Memorials up in DC tomorrow as well as stopping by Arlington. Should have a much deeper meaning this time.
Saturday, July 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment